Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File version check remotely on LAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

suntsu

Programmer
Aug 26, 2001
Hi all,

Hoping that someone can point me in the right direction?

I need to check the file version of a specific file on all of our PCs (that are online at that time); c:\windows\system32\msgina.dll and generate a text file of the results

Does anybody know of an app that could automate my searching?

I know the logic of what I'm trying to do (albeit in a batch file & the actual code doesn't work but represents the logic).

Here's what I've gotten so far...

FOR %i%=1 to 200
REM CHECK FOR LIVE CONNECTION
SET CONNECTED=YES
PING LAPTOP%i% | FIND "TTL=" > NUL
IF ERRORLEVEL 1 NEXT (can't find that PC try next)
ELSE
NET USE Z: \\LAPTOP%i%\windows\system32
z:
(code help) Write computer name >> Laptops.txt
dir msgina.dll >> c:\temp\HotFix\Laptops.txt (this will give the file size which will be sufficient)
NET DISCONNECT Z: (disconnect the mapped drive)
NEXT (Loop to next laptop number)
END

Can anyone help with an app or utility that would do the job, or tips for using vbscript?

Cheers,
David

You can do this in VBScript, but what soesn't work with what you have?

[red]"... isn't sanity really just a one trick pony anyway?! I mean, all you get is one trick, rational thinking, but when you are good and crazy, oooh, oooh, oooh, the sky is the limit!" - The Tick[/red]

Hi Tom,

Basically the only thing that works above is the connection test to ensure the machine is online. the code to map the drive would work but I'm struggling with the actual coding e.g. commands and loops to use.

I'd probably be better starting from scratch. If anyone could help with any resources that I could use it would be greatly appreciated.

> computer names range LAPTOP001 to LAPTOP350
> file to check is constant LAPTOP00X\admin$\system32\msgina.dll
> If laptop online, output computer name to a text file on my PC along with the version of the DLL or simply the file size

Thanks,
David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back