Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File size of FPT 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocroc

Technical User
Sep 3, 2001
GB
I have a database system with a memo file (fpt) which is 2.1 Gig in size. Microsoft tell me that DBF files have a size limit of 2 gig - does this apply to fpt files as well? - We have been having a number of problems with this file such as 90% of the data seeming to disappear although the file size does not decrease, pack memo not decreasing file size although many records deleted. Any help/advice appreciated.

Hi;

Sounds to me like you may have a corrupt index. I would do a REINDEX then PACK.

PACK MEMO only removes unused space in the ftp file, it does not remove deleted records. Use PACK by itself.

Ed Please let me know if the sugestion(s) I provide are helpful to you.
Sometimes your the windshield... Sometimes your the bug.

Thanks eguy - helpful - Have now got file down to 1.4 Gb. My main query is still regarding the file size. Does this 2.0 Gb limit apply to FPT files and if so what is the sympton of too large a file?

Hi;

FoxPro does not impose a file size on the ftp that I know of.

Your OS and file system will though. I think (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) NTFS has a 2Gb limit on all files and FAT & FAT32 have a limit of 4Gb.

As far as symptoms, I would think that FoxPro would give some error as soon as you tried to add a record that would push it over the edge. I've never been down that road so ???

Hope this helps

Ed Please let me know if the sugestion(s) I provide are helpful to you.
Sometimes your the windshield... Sometimes your the bug.

Yo are correct the 2 GB limit is imposed by the file system and applies to all Foxpro files.

Actually, I believe it's the FoxPro DBF structure that limits the FPT to 2GB also. The 10 characters in the record for a memo field is actually the character offset into the FPT file for the beginning of it's Memo entry. While theoretically this means 10 billion (where 2GB is 2,147,483,648), I think it's always been stated that the 2GB limit that the tables have also applies here.

Rick

Rick/Rocroc,
That is correct. The 2GB file limit is a FoxPro limitation. NTFS, I know for certain is capble of files grater than 2GB, as I have several that exceed that size limit utilizing MS SQL 7.0 on an NT4.0 NTFS formatted box. The 2GB limit remains through later versions of FoxPro as well, up to and including the current new release of 7.0. The only way I know of to exceed that, is to use something like SQL Server as your backend database.
The only other alternative is to break your file into smaller bits, and use multiple files with the same structure. While this requires some fancy code, it can be done.
Please let me know if this helps,
-Scott

Thaks Scott - that's what I needed to hear - I can at least put my finger on the cause now, and put forward a suitable solution.

Cheers

Roc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back