Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File Size Limits Reached

Status
Not open for further replies.

cvandijk

MIS
Oct 9, 2002
We are currently having a problem with file size limits being reached in a specific indexed file. The file now only has 20 empty blocks available for a write so recovery using the recover1 utility is proving to be problematic as well as trying to purge the records from the file.

Is there anything that can be done to this file to increase the number of available blocks to write to? Is there a way to have this file re-created in tact to a new file with higher size limits?

Thanks,

Chris

runtime version please - by the names you mentioned I presume it is RM/COBOL, but confirm that also.

Depending on the runtime version you can have files bigger than 2gb - but they need to be defined like that from start - easy to solve in any case.

Regards

Frederico Fonseca
SysSoft Integrated Ltd

FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Thanks for your prompt response. The runtime version for our utility billing programs which this pertains to is RM/Cobol 74. The runtime version for our other tax programs is RM/Cobol 85. I was under the assumption that there was a 2GB file size limit, which this file is only 1.6 GB so I don't know how we are blowing the file size, but I don't know how to go about changing that.

cobol 74 you are stuck with the file limit - with newer versions of RM/COBOL 85 you can go past the 2gb limit - as long as your operating system allows it - but you would most likely need to be on a version 7 or higher of the runtime.

So if you are indeed reaching the limits you have 2 options - redesign the file and put some records, or part of the record on another file, or upgrade your runtimes to the newest version.

But before doing that its advisable to check what is your operating system (or the ones where the programs will be used), along with other things that may prevent your programs from running - e.g. use of home made routines written in C or Assembler for example.

Not something that I can go into much detail here - but I have done many conversions for customers from 74 to 85 - and to some newer versions, so if you wish to follow that route you can email me privately at frederico_fonseca at the domain below.

Regards

Frederico Fonseca
SysSoft Integrated Ltd

FAQ219-2884
FAQ181-2886

Thanks Federico,

Late afternoon yesterday I came up with the idea to have the files re-created by taking and reading the records one by one into a brand new file. This worked, freeing up at least 100MB of space in the file due to remnants left over from deleting / rewriting / etc. We were able to then purge old records from the file. Verification was done afterwords and the data is all there correctly.

This is just our continual band-aid approach to this ancient system until we decide to move forward to something newer which is hopefully going to be this year.

Thanks for your responses,

Chris van Dijk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back