Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File Sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.

10star

Technical User
Feb 6, 2006
US
I have had a simple lan at home for several years. Recently I tried Norton for a few days and quickly switched back to McAfee adding some of their new programs as well. I'm using a linksys broadband router and access point combo. All computers both wireless and cabled can see the internet. I set the notebook next to my desk top, look up the address and they were both able to ping each other but when I go into the "My Network Places" from each computer you can only see that computer in the workgroup, none of the others. I also have a network printer and they all print to it fine as well. I tried turning off all firewall software, assuming I didn't miss something that didn't make a difference. I'm sure it's something simple. They are all running Windows XP. 2 are home, one pro and one media center. Any ideas where to look next?

Was all fine prior the the Norton in & out fiasco??

Was Norton installed on one or all PC's?

You might try at the cmd line ipconfig /flushdns

then ipconfig /renew might help depending on if it was functional before.

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

It seemed to be working fine befor. I only put the norton on one computer because it was supposed to be able to remove a spyware problem I had that McAfee did not fix.

I just tried to run command from the former Norton computer and I got the following error:
C:\WINDOWS\system32\command.com
C:\PROGRA~1\Symantec\S32EVNT1.DLL. An installable Virtual Device Driver failed Dll initialization. Choose 'Close' to terminate the application.

I did the ping tests a few days ago and had forgotten that that error had occured.

I tried to remove Norton with their uninstall but it did not work so I had to use their downloaded removal program. It looks like it didn't get it all. The directory it's pointing to is NOT on my system but junk must still be in the registry.

I went ahead and selected the "Ignor" button and did as you suggested, but it did not seem to fix my problem.

Perhaps it's best to start over. Do you know how to remove my network settings and I can try the wizard on each computer?

I guess I'll be calling Symantec too unless anyone has any ideas how to get it out of the registry.

I guess I'll be calling Symantec too unless anyone has any ideas how to get it out of the registry.
=============================================

Not trying to be a smarta**, but GOOD LUCK trying to get your problem with Symantec by calling them on the phone.

norton + lan = nightmare. i have seen numerous complaints with norton and how it messes up lan work. get rid of it.

Once you cleanup the norton stuff you can just re-run the wizard as it should reset all.

Just as a check....shut down the norton machine, and check to see if the net functions as it appears that you have more than 2.

If there is still a net problem post back as it might not be the nor PC's fault

rvnguy
"I know everything..I just can't remember it all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back