Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File Sharing Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

redshadow

Programmer
May 24, 2001
PH
I have networked two computers and configured as:

- via hub
- assign static IP for each
- both have direct internet connection
- one PC has one lan card, the other has two but one is disabled.
- both has gateways and dns defined as required to connect to the ISP
- both has the same user names and password.

The problem now is I can do a ping on both, I can use remote desktop connection and the computers are browsable from the Network Neighborhood. When I open one workstation, I can see the shared folders but when I open the shared folder, I am denied of access.

Even if I tried to browse the shared folder from the pc that has the shared folder(by using \\pc01\sharedfolder) still I can't access it.

Both of them are Windows XP OS.

Any help is appreciated, thanks in advance

Thanks a lot, varuna. I'll check what I missed out and try if it will solve my problem.

Hi, I've checked and tried all that were instructed in the document that you linked me to but to no avail.

Is there a way where there might be conflicts with the configurations of each device that is why it can't enable the file sharing?

I've got two lan card for the other computer and both has modem installed, just wondering.

Thanks for the help, by the way.

try this:
right click on the folder that you want to share on the "network"
choose sharing and security from the menu
when the sharing window appears, click "share this folder on the network"
when the window appears that warns you about the implications of sharing, click ok.
make sure that:
right click on our lan properties on your control panel, network connections. you should see these selected:
client for microsoft networks
file and printer sharing for microsoft networks
QoS packet scheduler
internetworking protocol TCP/IP
if file and printer sharing is not enabled, you should use network connection wizard to enable it.

Thanks alidabiri but that is why I am wondering why is it so because everything was done properly and this is not the first time I've installed a network of this type in Wndows XP.

All that you enumerated were done properly. Each computer can share folders, I can even view the computer's shared folders and resources such as their shared printers. The thing is I can't access those.

I've even checked and followed the guidelines from Microsoft documents as linked by varuna but to no avail.

I will check if they have some personal firewall installed on their pc that I didn't see first. Maybe that's what is affecting them or worse re-installation of XP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back