Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File Sharing Apps. on XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

hirenJ

Programmer
Dec 17, 2001
GB
I access the internet using XP, through my university LAN...

Up until last month, I could use most file sharing applications, at lightning speed, without any problems..

HOwever, all of a sudden, when using Kazaa, WinMX and ANY other file sharing programs, I can never connect to the file sharing servers...

Also, everytime I load up any application that uses information from the internet (e.g. Windows media player refreshes the 'media guide') I just get a blank web page with the 'This page cannot be displayed' notice....

Whats wrong with my configuration??!!

I need to file share!!!

Thanks
Ren.

make peace with yourself before you kick the computer...

The university has blocked those sites.

The party is over.

Nope.... all my friends on the network are still using these services as normal...

Ren.

Actually called "Hosts", found in c:\windows

Cheers,
Jim
iamcan.gif

I would check:

ipconfig /all

Which you can run from the RUN menu or even the command prompt if you are familiar with it.

I would compare it to your friends that can use it to see if you are all on the same segment of the network. They may be in the process of updating segments and slowly blocking those ports/protocols that those services use.

Good luck!

Hirenj,

You may detect a certain lack of sympathy for your problem. University sites have been plauged by P2P applications in recent years. The countermeasures have grown increasingly sophisticated, and I suspect in your case that the University is taking the nicer approach of measuring bandwidth and using graduated controls on access to sites and ports out through the router depending on circumstance.

There are very good P2P Forums, where some specific advice can be had. Your first stop should be to your University IT office to see if anything has been done to limit you. They will tell you if you ask nicely.

But this Forum is about as likely as the RIAA Web Site to offer much meaningful advice to you.

baster,

nothing has been done by Uni IT department to limit P2P traffic...

its definately a config problem, everyone else on campus and within my compund can use P2P services...

However,I do understand the lack of sympathy...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back