Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File share problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Daveish

Technical User
Oct 1, 2003
US
Hi everyone, I have a problem with a set of Windows Server 2003 machines. There are two machines, SVR1 and SVR2. SVR1 is a DC for the domain win.local. I recently installed Windows Server 2003 on SVR2, and tested file sharing to/from the server. I dcpromo-ed the machine as a new domain controller for the win.local domain -- and now noone can connect to the file shares on SVR2. On the other DC (SVR1) file sharing works just fine.

The bizarre thing is that if I specify a user name when I try to map a drive on SVR2 from a client machine, it works just fine! So...

This dosen't work -> net use Z: \\svr2\share1
This works -> net use Z: \\svr2\share1 /user:whoever

Same thing in the GUI "Map network drive" too -- if I don't specify a user name it dosen't work. It works with any user name, not just administrators.

Share permissions and NTFS drive/directory permissions are all set to Everyone->Full Control for now, til' I can get this working.

Any ideas as to why I'm having this weird problem?

Thanks in advance,
David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back