Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File Server sharing problems on WIN2000 Advance server

Status
Not open for further replies.

WilkoB

Technical User
May 13, 2004
NL
In our office we have a WIN 2000 server which I am using as file server.

On the server I have created folders for each employee (*), created a user and password for the employee and a share which is linked to the folder(*) I mentioned before.

On the XP machine I have created netdrives that link to the personal folder.

For example:

John Smith

On the WIN2000 I have a folder c:\shares\John
I have created user john
I have created share John which is linked to C:\shares\John and where in the Share permissions user john(SERVER\john) has full control and under security everyone and user john (SERVER\john) have full control

On John's XP machine I go in explorer and right-click on My Computer and make a netshare \\192.168.1.x\john with the field re-connect on login ticked and his username and password on the WIN 2000.
Once done I get a conection to the folder.

Now the problem:

When the person reboots his machine the netshare connection does not work and the person has to re-enter the password and username to connect again!??

What am I doing wrong or should I do to correct this?

Is there any reason you haven't setup a domain?

Is there any reason you're putting user folders on the C: drive and not on another logical or physical drive (like D:, e:, etc)?

there is no reason for not having a domain set up.

I just took the easiest set up (I am a beginner), the choice for the C drive was not made on purpose I could have set it up on D if I wanted to.

I have in the meantime found some information about the use of NET USE and was think of finding a script to run on the XP clients on start up to connect to the WIN2000 server

1. The issue that you're having is that the username/password combo on the workstation is different from that on the server (or nonexistant). So it tries to reconnect the drive using the credentials of the logged on user, but since they don't work on the server then he gets prompted for a set that do. Congratulations! You have just discovered why people use domains.

2. Do not put user shares (or anything else) on the C: drive of a server. If you do, you will eventually run out of disk space on C: (the system partition) and the server will stop working.

3. Do not give anyone Full Control over their network shares unless you want them to be able to totally screw up the permissions and create headaches for you to try to solve.

4. Unless you want everyone in the company to be able to read the contents of John's personal drive, take the Everyone group off of the Security permissions.

kmcferrin:

Thank you for your advise. I will change the permissions and the access rights on the shares.
I will also change the drive. I hadn't thought of the impact it might have when putting them on the C: drive.

Any idea how I set the user and password under XP.

Is it possible to save those, so that the user doesn't constantly have to remember a difficult password.

i would recomend you to create a domain, trust me it makes your life a lot easier (i'm a newbie too) for management and scalation this will solve the credentials issue, there's enough documentation in this site as well as everywhere else to help you out with the domain creation

sincerely

-D

The Internet? is that thing still around?!!

-Homer Simpson

I'd take one step further. Do some research, and make it an Active Directory Domain. The control AD gives you over the domain is so much better, it will save you tons of work in the long run. There's tons of documentation on this site alone.

Glen A. Johnson
If you like fun and sun, check out Tek-Tips Florida Forum
Don't forget to Buckle up. It works.

One more thing, you'll NEED DNS if you set the domain up, and if you have any machines older than W2K, such as 98se, you'll need WINS set up also. Unless you're using the server for internet access, you won't need DHCP right away, but it is handy to have. Good luck.

Glen A. Johnson
If you like fun and sun, check out Tek-Tips Florida Forum
Don't forget to Buckle up. It works.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back