Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File server accessable by some but not others - strange

Status
Not open for further replies.

tektipsfm

IS-IT--Management
Jan 17, 2007
GB
Hi,

I have a windows 2000 server, acting as a file server. Its been working fine for years now, but since last night no one could access the server. I came in this morning sent the server for a reboot and now some and some cant access the server. I for one can but other when they try to connect they get the standard "\\servername is not accessible. you might not have permissions to use the network recource", but after the 3rd reboot of both the file server and the dc everyone could access the server for about 20 minutes and the a few minutes latter some could and some could not. Its not user account becuase for example I could access the server from my machine but if I tried it from one of the user users machines I could not. I can ping the machine no problem and the event viewer does not have any real error messages to report. I hope you can help me resolve this issue, its getting very urgent. Thanks a mill.

You say you can access the server without issue. You may want to take a look at the connectivity between your users and the server. Check to see if there isn't problem with your network switches. Can users access the server by IP address? if so check your DNS and/or WINS servers.
Hope this helps.

Have you checked the firewall and DNS settings? Are they OK? Have you checked if WINS uses the proper TCP/IP name resolution?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back