Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File Search

Status
Not open for further replies.

judyscofield

Programmer
Sep 24, 2001
US
I've been asked to add a routine in an existing application that searches for a file on the user's machine, then edit that file if it is found. It happens to be an ini file.

I know that locfile() finds a file, but only searches in the paths set in set path. How can I search for a file if I don't know what subdirectory it is located in on the user's machine? Also, what if there might be multiple occurances of the file on the machine? How can I find all of them?

Once located, how do I edit the file within my program. It's a very specific edit on one line of the file. If I use at() or atc() how do I specify the string that I'm searching in?

Thanks.

Judy Scofield

judyscofield

Try adapting faq184-140
FAQ184-2483 - the answer to getting answered.​
Chris [pc2]

afternoon

i had to do the same thing except with just the 1st occurrence of the ini file

try this

its a VCX class I made from a prg i found (apologies to the original author - but i lost the original documentation) which searches for a file and returns the path

the code foir using it is..

cInipath=.frmPassword.filesearch1.search("MPW32.INI",1,"Locating... ",.T.,.F.)

i've also got the edit code some place - basically it was a fread - low level file access

hope its ok & the link works because i'm going home now.

monkey

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back