Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File "Access denied" in Windows 7 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

toolman59

Technical User
Aug 4, 2001
DE
How do I make all my files accessible in Windows 7? I have tried various methods without success.

I should have said folders rather files

You probably want to take ownership, but could you explain in more detail what you're after? Are these folders on some other hard drive from some other operating system or something?

Smah
These are folders within my Windows 7 partition. When I try to open folder "Documents and Settings" from Windows 7, a popup window with this note appears:

"H:\Documents and Settings\Is not accessible Access denied"

This is a stand alone, single user computer, with myself as adminstrator. In my XP home OS, all my folders are accessible by default. I want to make all my Windows 7 folders accessible without exception.

toolman59

Ah - you clearly skipped using Vista, didn't you? You would have found the same problem there.

Mainly because the folder "Documents and Settings " doesn't actually exist on Vista (and hence W7). Yes, yes, I know that you can see it there plain as day light - but it is a fake, a special junction point (or symbolic link) to maintain compatibility with XP. Files saved to "Documents and Settings" actually get saved elsewhere ...

The trick is finding out where. And on Vsta and W7 Documents And Settings points to (normally) C:\Users

strongm

Yes I did skip Vista. Thank you, I have found H:\users, some of the folders have an icon with a sort of shortcut arrow in the bottom left corner, none of these folders are accessible, I presume this part of the new culture I have to get used to, are these junction points also?

Like 'Default users' and 'all users'? Yes. 'All Users' is a junction point to Public.

In addition to the utilities mentioned in KB205524, they can be created & deleted with the Systernals utility Junction. I strongly do not recommend that you delete any of these as you will have numerous problems in the future.

smah and strongm

Thank you both for your help, I will now proceed to the next point of confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back