Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File processing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MainStreet

Programmer
Apr 4, 2002
GB
Dear All,

I'm new to Cobol and have only been using it for a couple of months. As a result I'm a little stuck and was hoping for a few pointers. My problem is this:

I have 2 files (just plain text files). I have set up FD sections in the File Section for these files and now want to check one file against the other. I want to check the files according to just one data-item (the primary key?)(which both files posess). The first file is correct and is the one which I will check the second file against. The second one has errors in its primary key and so I want to output these corrupt records to an error-file and the correct records to a no-error-file.

Has anyone got any ideas as to how I would go about doing this? Any little tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill.

Believe it or not, this is a Frequently Asked Question. Read the response at:
faq209-1109

Your "first file" is the master file, and your "second file" is the transaction file.
Tom Morrison

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back