Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File Permissions Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

clawton

Technical User
Jul 23, 2000
GB
Background:

I have a .NET web application that processes input files and places their contents record by record into a database.

The input files are read from a folder

\inetpub\
The appname folder has the permissions:

Administrators: Full control
ASPNET: Read & Write
Owners: Full Control

All sub folders of the appname folder are set to inherit the permissions from the parent.

The problem:

If I COPY the files from their original location to the inputs folder, they inherit the permissions of the parent folder, and get the Read/Write permission for ASPNET.

However, if I MOVE the files from their original location, they keep their original permissions, and cannot be accessed by the ASPNET user and so cannot be picked up by the application. (For security purposes, the original location cannot be accessed by the ASPNET User)

Are there any settings in Windows XP to enable the permission set to be inherited, even if the file is moved rather than copied?

Thankyou in advance.

Chris.

Chris Lawton
Chris@Lawton.net

No.

The ACE entries are part of the file, and "move" with the file.

As you note the copy operation adopts the folder permissions of the target.

This is by design.

And interesting sidepoint: while a moved file shows that it still has inherited permissions, this always struck me as odd. You can change the folder permissions of the orginial parent and the moved file/folder will not change its ACE attributes. The "inherited" in this context is only a sign that the ACE values are not inherited from the current folder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back