Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File Permissions in WinXP Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebrooks54

IS-IT--Management
Dec 4, 2002
US
I'm sure this must be in the forum somewhere, but I can't find it...

I have a machine with WinXP Pro, and a second drive mounted. On the machine there are two users, UserA and UserB. The highest level folder on the second drive is called F:\main and it is shared.

I'm not sure how I ended up in the following situation, and I'm realy scratching my head:

UserA and UserB are both administrators. Inspecting properties of any folder under F:\main shows that both users have full control of all folders.

However, UserB can browse all these folders but can not access any of the files within the folders, in spite of the permissions. When UserA inspects the permissions/security of a file, it shows only UserA has rights to the file. When UserB inspects the permissions/security of a file, Windows says the user does not have permission, but could change ownership.

What have I done wrong and how do I fix it?

Thanks

Just check below

Set Up Access Control Lists on the Shares

To change the share permissions:
1. Click Add, and then choose Object Types.
2. Un-check Built-in security principles and Groups, because we only want to see Users.
3. Click OK. From this location should show the name of your computer.
4. Choose Advanced, and click Find Now.
5. Click on the users who should have access this share.
Power User Tip: Ctrl-Click allows you to make multiple selections!
Click OK, and the users are added:
You may repeat this to add additional users. When done, click OK.

You're now back at the ACL editor. By default, the newly-added users have read-only access. If you want them to have read/write access, then tick the Change box. You need to do this for each user! Select each user in the list in turn, and specify Change permission. Don't give limited users Full Control.
To prevent Guest access to this share, we must remove the Everyone group! Select it, and click Remove.

Type compmgmt.msc in the Start Run box. Look at Shared Folders/ Shares/ main (or whatever name your share name is).

Right-click on "main" to access the Properties. Check both the Permissions via the Sharing Permissions, and the Security tabs.

HOW TO: Take Ownership of a File or Folder in Windows XP (Q308421)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back