Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File permission issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

theniteowl

Programmer
May 24, 2005
US
I expect this should be easy but...

We have a NAS folder mounted on our Unix server under the name of dms.
We have a process that watches that folder for files to appear and then to process them. The process runs under an account named ops.
When the files appear in the folder they show up with root as the owner and the ops account does not have sufficient permissions to handle the files.

I changed the owner of the folder to ops but the files still come up owned by root. How can I get the files to come up with ops as the owner or at least assign ops sufficient permissions to modify/delete the files?

I have only previously had to modify rights on individual files and I am missing something in the folder permissions area.

Thanks.

At my age I still learn something new every day, but I forget two others.

You can't have them automatically be owned by a different owner than the creator unless it's done via an "[tt]su[/tt]" or "[tt]sudo[/tt]" or something similar. Since it is "root" that's creating the file, it could do a "[tt]chown[/tt]" on the file after it's created to change the file's owner.

You could also have the process that creates the file do a "[tt]umask 000[/tt]" right before creating it. That will set the file's permissions to "[tt]-rw-rw-rw-[/tt]" which will allow anyone to modify or delete the files.

SamBones said:
You could also have the process that creates the file do a "umask 000" right before creating it. That will set the file's permissions to "-rw-rw-rw-" which will allow anyone to modify or delete the files.

Modify, yes, but to delete they will need write permission to the directory containing the file as well.

Annihilannic
[small]tgmlify - code syntax highlighting for your tek-tips posts[/small]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back