Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File path w/ windows dialog box (UNC for network path)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KMKelly

Programmer
Jan 23, 2002
US
I am looking at adding something related to the code to use the Windows dialog box to get a file path. It is faq705-2484

The users want to be able to click a button and select a place where a file is located and then once that path is established, save it so they can launch the file from the database.

But, the files are on a network share and while many (most) should have the same drive letters mapped, I can't ensure they all do. Is anyone familar with whether this can be set up to return a network path rather than the drive letters. It is so close to what I want, but not quite there. I found some stuff for VB but not for VBA.

Thanks.

Kris

I think the path returned depends on how the user gets there. If the browse via a mapped drive, that is what will be returned; if they go via My Network Places then the UNC path is returned.

There are API calls to convert from one path to the other:

Ed Metcalfe.

Please do not feed the trolls.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back