Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File opens in Mac PM6.5 but not PC PM6.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

2Long2Retirement

Technical User
Jan 23, 2005
US
Been working on a project for months; it is due shortly and must be in pc format. Over this time period I have worked the job on both mac and pc platforms without incident (transferring the project via zip disk as needed). Now, suddenly, the file will not open on the pc, and crashes PageMaker 6.5 when I attempt to open the file. PageMaker otherwise operates normally and will even open earlier versions of the same project; just not the current version.

I turned off all the fonts, and even unlinked and then physically removed all graphics from the file. It still will not open. It also will not open on a different pc, or in PM 7 on a different pc.

This is the error I get: Pm65 has caused an error in ALDVM32.DLL. Pm65 will now close. Then, when I try to close that box it says Pm65 has caused an error in PICTPAL.ADD. Pm65 will now close.

Through long association, I can troubleshoot mac files fairly well; I am much newer to the pc world and am clueless on how to proceed. I am running Windows XP if that is relevant. The difference between the old, openable file and the new, UNopenable file is mainly a lot of text edits, but also some kerning changes and new graphic placements.

I am about to begin the arduous task of completely rebuilding the file on the pc unless someone has a better suggestion! Thank you in advance for any words of encouragement you might be able to offer.

Hi, 2Long2Retirement,

Several points:

1. PM6.5 is not supported by Adobe on WinXP - so we're on our own here.
Adobe's Support Policy for PageMaker 6.5 and 7.x in Windows XP

Pm65 has caused an error in ALDVM32.DLL. Pm65 will now close. Then, when I try to close that box it says Pm65 has caused an error in PICTPAL.ADD. Pm65 will now close.
Re-install PM and after the install, delete or rename the file PICTPAL.ADD which can be found in the folder:
~\PageMaker 6.52\RSRC\[language]\PLUGINS

3. Click here to read "Publication Created on Another Platform Isn't Available or Causes Error in PageMaker" from the Adobe PageMaker Support Knowledgebase.

4. Click here to read "Transferring PageMaker Files between Platforms" from the Adobe PageMaker Support Knowledgebase.

5. The other issues are fonts and image formats, but you have that in hand.

Iechyd da! John
Glannau Mersi, Lloegr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back