Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File Open- Env Variables 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgentM

MIS
Jun 6, 2001
US
I want to change the default directory for File...Open
and File... Save for all programs.

Can somebody tell me, how I can change the envoirnment variables in 2K P, that does it?

thank you

This might help you.
Right-click My Documents folder on the desk top.
choose properties.
choose move, and set new path.
This changes the location of the my douments folder.
IE this makes a new copy of your my document folder in the place of your choosing. This works for programs that use the default settings.
Hope this was of some help.
//////other than options in the running program. I think you would have to make changes in the registry......

Yes, I knew about My documents. I guess there is no other setting except messing with the registry.

AgentM

Doesn't it just depend on the program? Eg, in Word, there's an option to set the location of documents (so word will then use the new one for file open/save by default - but it only applies to word). Similarly, the text editor I use (Pfeditor) has similar option. You can also point 'My Documents' where you want to (rather than moving the folder) - Tweakui will let you do this (My Computer tab) -

Ok thank you'll. I will stick to the "My Documents" concept.

But does anybody know where I can find a list of envoirnment variables for Win2k.

thank you

Type set at a command prompt?
System properties, Advanced tab, Environment Variables button?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back