Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File not saving "because the file is in use or was left open" 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

artguy

Technical User
Feb 2, 2001
US
We use a combo of Macs and PCs at our office. We've been using an NT 4.0 server for the past 2 years with no problems. We recently added a new server and eliminated the NT server. The new server is using Windows 2003 Server with a NAS setup.

Now when opening a file from the new network server using a Macintosh, making changes and attempting to save, an error comes up and says "Could not save as 'filename' because the file is in use or was left open." If you continue, the file has been removed from the server. You must then save as a different file name or you will lose your work.

I've been able to duplicate the problem. I've confirmed that only one person it using the file. It happens from multiple Mac workstations and multiple applications such as Photoshop, Quark and Illustrator. It seems to happen only when the person is working in one document for an extended period of time.

This worked fine on Windows NT 4.0 but not on the new server.

Not sure where to look for a solution. Can't seem to find anything here or using Google. I posted this in the Windows 2003 Server but no responded. Thought I'd try out the Mac aficionados here.

Anyone else run into this problem? Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

Bob

reboot the server.
the file locks are not closing properly.

Or restart mac file services.

Check under file shares, sessions and open files. You might see some files which think they are still open.

But the reboot worked for me. I fought this problem for about a month, then in resignation i rebooted the server. The file locks started behaving. Its been normal for about a year since....

Robert Liebsch
Stone Yamashita Partners

I'll give it a shot and will post whether it works or not for me. You've given me a glimmer or hope and I thank you for that.

Bob

We've had the same problem here. I've posted about this issue on a couple of forums and have had no luck. When the Macs are indexing the directories, it's leaving the resource forks open on the server (using a SMB mount on our 2003 server as opposed to the AFP mount on the NT server we used to use. Not sure if the different protocals are playing some part in the problem). If we shutdown the Mac, all the open resource forks close. Rebooting the server wasn't the answer. We have no problems with the PC files on the server.

We've had files disappear as well. The exact same problem.

I promised to post here with any results and never did. We restarted the server and nothing changed. We made sure we shut down the Macs each night so we start fresh each morning but to no avail.

It seems to be happening most often with large files, but I can't say that's the only time. Some of our Quark files I know it use to happen to as well.

To clarify, we are using Windows 2003 Small Business Server as our primary with a Windows NAS attached to it where we save all of our files.

If any one has any new ideas, let me know. If I find any solutions some day, I will post it as well.

Try disabling SMB signing as that is something that causes regular Mac to 2003 problems. E-Bitz is the lass who wrote the definitive text:
Probably won't make any difference but I don't get that error.

Also check sharing and security on the share - what permissions do the users have?

One of our clients had similar issues, it is the resource forks. The problem is with the Windoz os, it was a none issue on Win2K and it appears that they carried it over.

If i remember correctly there is no known fix for it.

Twist

===========================================
Everything will be OK in the end.
If it's not OK, then it's not the end

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back