Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File name & directory

Status
Not open for further replies.

redsand

Programmer
Aug 15, 2001
US
Hello all,

I am really new to vb and do not know where to start for this. What I am trying to do is have a user set a default path for an exe one time, and save the path to be used when a user clicks on a command button to launch the exe.

Is there a control I can user to open a file path dialog box and have the users click to find the correct dir and file name?

Any help or links would be greatly appreciated!!

Look in VB Help for the Common Dialog Control.

Andy
"Logic is invincible because in order to combat logic it is necessary to use logic." -- Pierre Boutroux

As for only specifying the path once, you SHOULD read about the Registry functions, though as a beginner you might find INI files more to your liking...

mmilan

Although the APIs to access ini files are still in use, MS say they are primarily for backward compatibility with 16-bit apps. To use a limited but very usable subset of registry functions, look up SaveSetting and GetSetting in VBHelp. There is a simple example to get you started - it's very easy!

'People who live in windowed environments shouldn't cast pointers.'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back