Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File Monitoring 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyberPriest

IS-IT--Management
Mar 23, 2008
US
Hello All,
I am in need of a tool, script, or batch file that will produce a report (text file would be fine) that will give me the dates on files/folders in multiple locations. I have several files I need to check on a daily basis. I have been using a daily .bat that does a DIR on the files and sends output to a .txt. Now I have been told that I need to clean up the report daily so I can hand it to a member of management. So I will be stuck cleaning up a massive ugly .txt file on a daily basis, and I don't want to do it. :)

As always, any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
CP

Have you seen Tek-Tools Profiler? (The tool does a lot more than just what you need but it's a great file analysis tool. You can schedule the scanning process and reports to be automatically emailed to you.
Good luck!

I'd look at using VBScript and the FileSystemObject to grab the data. The GetModifiedDate and GetAccessDate properties will give you what you need. [link=http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hww8txat(VS.85).aspx]here[/url] is the reference in the MSDN. Without more details than you provided it's impossible to really create a script for you, but this may get you looking in the right direction.

Your help is greatly appreciated. Unfortunately I have not had adequate time to readdress this issue, but I will look into your suggestions this evening.
Thank you again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back