Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File Locking 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 20, 2001
US
I have an Access Database that create a *.ldb file (Jet record locking infor) in a users directory on the network (F:Drive). They didn't have delete permissions to the folder, so when they exited Access, the *.ldb file wasn't deleted as it should be by the Jet 3.51 Engine.

I have all rights except for supervisory to the folder. I can rename the file, but not delete it.

Two of the other guys here have Supervisory rights to the folder, and claim they can't delete either the *.ldb file or the *.mdb file. We all get a "file in use" error.

Any ideas, suggesstions ??

That has happened to me sometimes..What you do is, open back up the database and then exit normally that will delete the file only if you are the only user using the database..if other users are using the database then that file will not be deleted until thae last user exit's the database...You can adjust your locking settings in servman, that should stop or minimize record locking...

DVannoy
A+,Network+,CNA
dvannoy@onyxes.com

so what your saying is, once you get record locking you cannot open the database??? what OS are you running??

95,98,2000?

if your running 95 or 98 you may have to re-boot your system..I am running 2000 and I just end the task and then it allows me to open back up the database...Also you may try and do a compact and repair of the database..

Hope this helps

DVannoy
A+,Network+,CNA
dvannoy@onyxes.com

We are running a mixture of OS's. I'm running NT 4.0 on my machine, and it doesn't show the task as running in task manager. The user that accessed it last was running 95, and that machine has been re-booted. The database is on a Novell 4.X server.

I know what happened. Someone without delete rights to the directory opened the database. Therefore, the *.ldb file couldn't be deleted.

However, both the *.mdb and *.ldb files are locked. When I try to access or delete them, I get a "file in use" error.

As a last resort, I've restored the database from a backup, and put in in a direcotry where all users have all rights. But, I would like to "kill" the locked application. Some process or service has a hold of it, I just can't figure out what. The server shows no connections to the file.

Thx for your time and patience. If you need help with any databases.....

the would be great...I have a few questions as im typing this...send me your email address....

Thanks DVannoy
A+,Network+,CNA
dvannoy@onyxes.com

This may be obvious but, did you reboot the server? That would clear anything seen or not.

Cheers,
Mark ;-)

Go to LOAD MONITOR
Go to file locks...go to where the file is..

Kick off everyone using that file..

Now a supervisor should be able to delete that file, etc..

You need to re-think your Watchdog settings if you get a lot of file locks..

Do a search on Novell's site for Watchdog....

The NetWare 5.x solution to this would be to try the following on your server (also set in STARTUP.NCF:

SET CLIENT FILE CACHING ENABLED = OFF

Don't know if it appies to NetWare 4.x as well. -----------------------------------------------------
"It's true, its damn true!"
-----------------------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back