Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File link warnings (ASAP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jenietcu

Programmer
Oct 8, 2001
PH
Hi,

I got this errorr 'File link warning. The specified fields may not link successfully due to different lengths'.

What should I do with this error or any workaround regarding this error? What could be the cause of this error?

Thanks and Regard,
Jen

Hi Jen,

You are trying to link two field which have a different structure on the database.

It is normally because you are linking tables on a field that is not the common key field.

If this is text then you should get away with it, as the link should find a corresponding record on the second table. You may either get duplicates or never find fields where they are longer than the length of your first table.

Geoff

As long as you are sure that the data in the fields does match and that one table doesn't include spaces you should be ok linking them anyway. I'd recommend doing a test report linking those fields and running a SQL (or whatever) query seperately to check that all expected data is returned in CR. If there are no anomalies between the query and the report, go for it!

Databaseman Database Man
Defender of Life, Liberty and the pursuit of accurate database reporting! Follow my free tek-tip adventures at:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back