Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

file limits by filesystem 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bambock

Programmer
Oct 26, 2005
US
Does anyone know if it's possible to allow a user or process to create files greater than 2GB on a particular file system? I have an fs that I'd like to create sizable tar file on, but I don't want to exceed the 2GB limit on my other file systems. It might not even be possible. I am running AIX 5.3 by the way.

Thanks,
Ethan

According to what i understood from your thread, Have you tried using the ulimit for the user (and accordingly the processes that belong to this user as they are both the same)?

One more thing, are u using jfs or jfs2? With standard jfs the filesystem size shouldn't exceed 2GB!

You can use WLM (Work Load Management) to control what the processes use from resources!

I don't really have much knowledge about WLM but you can aquire that knowledge through this redbook:

Regards,
Khalid

Thanks Khalidaaa, yes, the filesystem is jfs2. I'm trying to tar up a 50GB directory structure in a cron job, but I want to allow that 2GB restriction to be lifted off the destination filesystem.

Ethan

Then ulimit is your solution! All you need to do is to set the fsize parameter of the user who will issue the tar command.

Instead of making the user restricted to 50GB you can make him/her unlimited by the following command:

ulimit -f unlimited

or you specify your 50GB after the -f option (which should be in 512-byte representation)

Regards,
Khalid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back