Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File labeled "~"???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cijebi

Technical User
Mar 5, 2003
US
I have Windows 98SE and a couple of days ago a new icon appeared on my desktop. It has the Windows logo and the label under it is "~" without the quotes. According to Clean Sweep this file is a data file with 212,992 bytes. Does anyone have the slightest idea what this is and how it may have been created? I've been using computers for years and this is the first time I've seen this. I'm hesitant to trash it until I know what it is.

Thanks for any help.

It's probably a Temp (.tmp) file from a recent install of an app or such.....Real player makes these as does M$....Try opening with wordpad to find any legible clues (don't forget to uncheck the box "Always use this program to open files of this type") by right clicking file and choose "Open With".....

TT4U

Notification:
These are just "my" thoughts....and should be carefully measured against other opinions....I try very hard to impart correct info at all times.

Actually, my aunt's XP had this very same file in the root of the drive; and I simply deleted it. So far no adverse effects.

--MiggyD

Howdy:

Actually, if you right-click on it and give it the extension .wab, you will open up your Address Book..

This is a litle quirck that came about twith a certain Microsoft Critical Update install.. Whenever you open your email address book, it places a shortcut to it on your desktop.

Just delete it.. no harm done !!

Murray

That "~" (tilde) file is most probably appearing as the result of installing the "April 2003, Cumulative Patch for Outlook Express (330994)". Microsoft is aware of the problem and is supposedly working on a fix.

Many people are experiencing this problem and from what I've read about this problem that icon will also reappear when you reply to an e-mail and you have your Outlook Express set up to enter the persons e-mail address to your address book whenever you reply to an e-mail. You can either just put up with it or follow the uninstall directions for the patch at the link below:

Note: If you did install this patch the above is applicable and yes, you should be able to delete the "~" file with no problems but these "~" will probably keep reappearing due to the problem with the patch.

For more info Check out "Welshjim's" reply in the thread at the link below.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back