Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

file is locked, opened for editing by another user

Status
Not open for further replies.

trbleshooter

Technical User
Dec 11, 2002
US
Ever since i switched to office xp i randomly get these error messages. Usually when trying to access a excel spreadsheet but sometimes in word also. It will come up saying this file is locked for editing by %user% would you like to be notified when it is open. Sometimes the person trying to open the file is the one who it says has it locked. Happens often but not everytime. Any suggestions? Thanks for the help.

Could be several things. The two that come to mind right away:

1. The user may be double opening the file, so it loads the first version but can't open the second 'cause it's already open.

2. If the file is on the server, it could be that the server has not yet closed the file. Novell servers will often keep the file in its cache for awhile before dumping it to the drive, especially if the user locked up while using the file or disconnected from the server before it was closed. There is an option like 'Delayed Write' that you can disable in your client settings to alleviate this problem.

Hope this helps.

THanks for the tips. I am using a windows xp machine as a server. It does seem like the server is holding on to the drive for awhile but it's strange cause it could hang on to it all day. I'll keep trying and let you know if i find anything.

trbleshooter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back