Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File in Use 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

emcevee

MIS
Aug 22, 2001
AU
I am hoping the combined wisdom of this group can solve this problem

Server is Win2K SP4 (Small Business Server)
Network Protocol is TCP/IP
Workstation is WinXP

Files are coming up as "File in Use by another User" when access is attempted from a workstation. When attempting to copy the files on the server, "Access denied" is reported and the copy is stopped.
But when you look at the Open Files Tab in Windows Management on the Server no Files are listed.
Rebooting the server does not clear the error.
The problem affects all file types.

The only change on the server is the upgrading of the disk from Basic to Dynamic which happened without error.

File structure is NTFS

restoring the files from the latest Backup to a different drive, seems to drag the problem over ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

The original fix was issued under Q309376 and was to do with Opportunistic Locking. As far as I'm aware this patch was included within SP4.

You may e able to download this patch from the microsoft website or something, if this does'nt work you may wish to give windows updates ago if you are not upto date.

Let mw know how you go,

Cheers Robo

Robo, Thanks for the response,

The problem is resolved.

Your pointer to the KB article was great except having SP4 installed negated the patch you pointed to.

I tried reloading SP4 using the express install and the problem remained.

I suspected that I needed to totally refresh the SP ala the old NT4 days so downloaded the Network SP (i.e Full version) and applied it. Rebooted Server, Problem Gone.

I suspect that converting the Disks from Basic to Dynamic has an effect on the file system modules and I needed to reapply the SP to bring the new modules upto to the same service levels. But I am guessing ...

Again, had you not pointed to the KB I would have still been going in circles

Emcevee

No Probs, happy to help, remember the hours i spent trying to resolve it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back