Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

file gets bigger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

novice44

Technical User
Oct 9, 2007
US
I'm still on Illustrator CS and I am trying to edit an .ai file that I generated a couple of years ago. The original file was about 500K but after a few minor changes, when I saved it it was 6.8M! After messing around for a while, I opened another older file that was about 500K and just saved it with a different name. It's now 6.8 M! What is happening to me and my files!

...when you save as native .ai from CS/CS2/CS3/CS4, illustrator also saves with PDF compatibility, this allows it to be placed in Indesign or opened directly in acrobat...

...turning off pdf compatibility in the "save as" dialog reduces the files size, but you lose functionality...

andrew

...removing unused, symbols, graphic styles, brushes etc can also help reduce file size when saving to native .ai, without PDF compatibility enabled...

andrew

...turning off embed ICC can also reduce file size...

andrew

The most puzzling thing to me was that the file got bigger when I just opened an .ai file and saved it as an .ai file with a different name.

I did discover that the culprit seemed to be a logo that I had as a separate .eps file that was under a meg. I found that if I opened a new file and cut/pasted the logo into it, it was over 6M but if I placed the logo file, it stayed small. Don't quite understand it but it did allow me to email a .pdf file of the doc later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back