Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File Download and Second IE Window opening

Status
Not open for further replies.

chippyles

Technical User
Nov 10, 2004
US
I have a computer that loads Internet Explorer anytime the computer reboots or powers up. the below code is also attached to the html so I can start up an application automatically.

Two things happen that I do not like.

A seperate IE window pops up and I get a pop up msg about file download. I know the file is safe and I just want it to automatically load without the user to click on Open and to click on the 'X' to exit out of the second IE window.

What can be done?

</head>

onload="open('file:///C:/TEMP/FR_Line_MMI.rsv.lnk');">

Why does this have to be done by Internet Explorer. If you would add that link to the Startup folder, program would run and no IE windows would open. All would be happy. If it is done in IE, IE will prompt user for download because it doesn't know the extension. As for closing the window, if it is the current window, you can close it with javascript's: window.close() If it is closing another window, IE might complain about it.

I am using IE because I am using a program called SiteKiosk which blocks people from the operating system. So startups in window do not work. I have to use IE which is the core of Site Kiosk.

It would be the second window. And what do I do about disabling the filedownload warning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back