Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File deletion problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

dljohnson69

IS-IT--Management
Oct 15, 2001
US
I have a word document on a NT 4 server with NTFS. It will not let me delete it. Error is "file in use, sharing violation." I have verified in server manager that the file is not is use. I have taken ownership, logged on locally as administrator.....no luck. Can't delete from DOS , ALL partitions are NTFS. Any ideas?

Try deleting it from the command prompt. If that fails, boot up with a boot disk, and blow it out of the water..:)

Hope this helps... mot98..[peace]

"Where's the beer?"

Wouldn't you have to have a NTFS boot utility disk that would boot and view NTFS partitions?

You would need a NTFS boot disk.

You can find them on the net. I would give you a link, but I don't have one.

Good luck

mot98..[peace]

"Where's the beer?"

Even if server manager doesn't show the file in use, a process can still have hold of it. Go to and download handle.exe or the better GUI version Process Explorer. You can use either of these to find out which PID has hold of an object. Then you kill the PID and delete the file. Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back