Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File Date 1-1-85

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 25, 2003
US
I Have a situation on hand with one of my clients, wondering if anyone else has ever run into this and what was the solution...

NetWare 6, SP3, Post SP3 NSS Patches. Arcserve 7.0 w/ all patches. No other 3rd party product on server.

Thousands of files on all volumes are getting changed to the date of 1-1-85 2:02 am.

Admin is running Mcafee VirusScan v8.0 on workstation. Workstation is W2K, Client 4.83. I have been told about situations where Mcafee on the server can cause this problem, but this is a slightly different scenario. Plus Mcafee denies any knowledge of such a problem with their holier than thou software.

One obvious problem is that it is difficult to determine if it is a single workstation causing the problems (if at all), since all users access all of the affected files. The only difference with the admin workstation is that it has the virus software and the users do not.

I appreciate any ideas or pointers in the general direction of a solution.

Marv

Marvin Huffaker MCNE, CNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting

Hi,

While I was searching the Novell site I noticed a TID that indicated that Symantec NAV caused the same issue a while back and was cured by upgrading the software.

It makes sense to me that the anti-virus software would be the culprit. Just consider one thing....what other program touches all files?

I would force Mcaffee to admit and give you a solution or switch to a different virus software.

Lou

i would concur

the fact that large numbers of files are being touched would indicate that it is a backup or a virus scanner

arcserve although i detest it - never seen this issue

you state 2:02 - are they all this time or do they increment

All files are changed to the same date, 1-1-85, 2:02am. No increment.

I did find a thread in the regular Novell newsgroups about a guy with an identical problem. Same date and time stamps and everything. He was also using Mcafee Virusscan. He even went as far as duplicating the problem and documenting the steps required to do so. Disabling Mcafee didn't help, he had to completely uninstall it.

Not the solution I was hoping for, but my client will have to be the one to decide if he wants to push the issue with Mcafee. Otherwise he will have no choice but to uninstall.

Thanks.

Rather than uninstall McAfee, try shutting down Arcserver and installing the trial version of backup exec and performing one backup to see if it resolves the problem WITH McAfee running. At least then you'll know if it is McAfee or ArcServe.

I'm assuming Arcserve is running on the server and McAfee is on the workstation.

We have found that the problem has nothing to do with the backup software. The dates don't get changed during a backup, they get changed when Mcafee is active on the workstation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back