Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File copy from NT

Status
Not open for further replies.

pikk

IS-IT--Management
Jan 23, 2002
CA
Hi All

Quick question: Anyone have any experience with copying large amounts of files and directories from a Windows NT Server box to a newly configured Windows 2003 server? The reason I ask is I'm wondering if I'm going to run into file ownership and security issues when I deploy my new server. I've got appx 80 Gig of files to move to t he new server and I've noticed that with the few directories I copied this far...some of the files permissions are all mucked up. Any thoughts?

TIA

Pikk

We restored from a tape backup taken immediately before the migration. That way you can restore the permissions.

Another option is Snapshot.
You can download a 30 day trial version from here
We used that for another migration it worked very well and is much, much, faster than the tape restore we used in the first instance.

Cheers.

To keep permissions use securecopy from scriptlogic very fast easy to use utility. Cost is about 400.

The free way is to use robocopy (2003 resource kit) robocopy is your friend.

Ben A
MCSE 2000:Security
MCSE 2003

Robocopy is your friend bigtime. I have done many migrations using it - make sure you have the switches correctly done and try not to use the /mirror switch. Robocopy can start off where it left off should a network problem etc have happened, it can also bring across security permissions as well as the date stamps for files and folders.

Restore of a backup is faster - just check your documentation regarding the restoration of permissions and data stamps - I have found at least one backup program that needs to run restore twice to get back security permissions.

Claudius (What certifications??)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back