Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File based event -Insufficient security privileges for Administrator 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

zaleph

MIS
Dec 3, 2006
GB
Hi,
I’m logged in as Administrator but get an error message when I schedule an object to start based on a File Event.
“Object failed to run due to insufficient security privileges”

Other software I’ve used SAP/Peoplesoft, will give a detailed log file stating what privilege was required. Does XI Server do this?

Do I need to check the privileges for the Folder /object/event/group & server?

Thanks.

Al.

You don't mention which operating system you're using, so I'll assume it's some flavor of Windows. You also don't mention whether the file that your file event looks for appears on the server where BusinessObjects is running accessed through a drive letter or a UNC path, or elsewhere on the network. I'm going to assume accessed through a UNC path or elsewhere on the network.

You also don't mention whether you're running BusinessObjects or Crystal Enterprise. I'm going to assume BusinessObjects. If you're on Crystal Enterprise, some of the specifics of how to set things up may vary, but the security concepts are the same.

The security error in this case has nothing to do with how you're logged in the BusinessObjects. It's based on the network or local user ID that the BusinessObjects servers are using when they run. If you leave it at the default services ID, that ID is local to the specific server and has no network rights. You can tell how they're running by opening up the Central Configuration Manager and going to the properties of the any of the servers - since we're dealing with Events, I'd specifically look at the Event Server. At the bottom of the first tab, there's a box labelled "Log On As". If this is set to "System Account", this is probably where your problem is. It's better to set all of your servers to log in as a specific network account. We have a special "services" account set up that we use to run all of the BusinessObjects servers. This account is also given local admin rights on the machines where BusinessObjects runs. That account can then be granted the rights to view the network folders where event files will be placed.

-Dell

A computer only does what you actually told it to do - not what you thought you told it to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back