Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File association with powerpoint 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

HomerJ

IS-IT--Management
Feb 4, 2002
DE
hi.

we use win2k servers with metaframe xp fr1. we installed office2000 on it and now i just search a possibility that ppt and pps files don't open with powerpoint2000 but with the powerpointviewer 97. how can i change the file association for every user on the terminalserver ?

thanks for any ideas

Change the following registry entry:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer] "NoFileAssociate"=dword:00000000

By default it is set to 00000001. Change it to 00000000, make the change to the association and you should be set. Change it back to 00000001 in the registry when you are done.

John

thanks, but i have done this and the problem is that the change to the file association only take for this user i am logged in. but i want the change take effect for every user on the terminal server.

any ideas ?

Not 100% sure this will work, but have you tried putting it back to the default in the registry, then closing out, then from a command prompt or run command line typing "change user /install", then going back to the registry, making the change, exit out of the registry, go back to run line and type in "change user /execute, then enter..

try that and see if that works....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back