Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File Access Reporting?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaoboda

IS-IT--Management
Sep 10, 2002
US
Is there any 3rd party add-ons that allow for reporting who, when and if the file was opened, edited, etc?

Perhaps you may want to test if Windows 2003 can give you the information you wish to view before getting a 3rd party product. Windows 2003 object access auditing has been enhanced from Windows 2000. It will show not only when a file was accessed/closed but now also records if a user actually performs a given operation while the file is open. As this informaiton is logged in the security log, it can be saved/exported for auditing purposes (quite easy to filter as well).

Claudius (What certifications??)

Claudek,

Yes, but I need something that will sling out reports as our HIPAA policy will require ad-hoc reporting, etc to go to non-IT people.

Yeah, I understand. Reporting can be a nightmare. I created a scripting solution myself which checks and imports log entries into an access database. I created reports in it which allowed me to filter out events in a presentable format. As all the information is in a database, my reports can generate all the information I require as I want. Took me a month to get it the way I liked. Not sure how HIPAA-savvy it is though.

For a commercial product to do all this for you, perhaps something like is what you're after.

Claudius (What certifications??)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back