Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

File access permissions error

Status
Not open for further replies.

BJZeak

Programmer
May 3, 2008
CA
cp -p /somefolder/somefile /someotherfolder/

is returning:
The file access permissions do not allow the specified action

the file is being copied with the expected permissions so why is AIX giving me this error?

drwxrwxrwx somefolder
drwxrwxrwx someotherfolder
-rw-rw-r-- somefile copies with -rw-rw-r--

Hello,
Look for the dot "." directory, ownership and permissions?

You said,
drwxrwxrwx somefolder
drwxrwxrwx someotherfolder

1st goto somefolder
ls -la somefolder

total 64
drwxr-xr-x 3 root system 4096 Jul 09 11:05 . --> what permission you have on this?
drwxr-xr-x 21 bin bin 4096 Apr 11 12:44 ..

Make sure, while chmod'ing to use -R flag (recursive)

Like chmod -R 777 somefolder and someotherfolder.

You might have used chmod 777 somefolder, which did not changed the permissions on its dot directory, that is why you cannot copy the file, as the user you are trying to copy as, has not enough permission to copy.

Hope that answer your question.

The . folder is
drwxr-xr-x bin bin

The confusing part of this is that the file IS being copied with all of its rights ... the question is if it is being copied then why the error message

OK,
The way you are describing it, the cause could be

Either the destination directory does not exist (but you have the directory - someotherfolder) or it could a File system not mounted properly.

Or else, the destination directory is a NFS mount.

Yes the destination folder is indeed an NFS folder ... is there anything that can be done with this or do I just pipe the error into dev/null?

If you are a system administrator and have access to the NFS mount check/change the permission again (it should be dynamic), and if you NOT, then you can notify them saying the same.

If your efforts/request is futile, go with redirecting it to /dev/null.

Thank-you for the info I will pass this on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back