Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FILE ACCESS DENIED

Status
Not open for further replies.

PETEHO

Programmer
Jan 17, 2002
GB
I have some users who use a VFP routine. We had a power cut and when they try to access their routines they get the message file access denied. How can I unlock these tables.

I do not use vfp but I can usually get by

Thanks

What do you mean by "routine"?

File access denied is usually an operating system situation. Did permissions on either the data or programs get whacked?

Is that the EXACT error message? (VFP has many error message that sound similar but have vastly different meanings.)

In addition to fixing the files (I'll guess they got corrupted) using one of the various tools available for that:

I strongly recommend you connect every computer on your network to a UPS (uninterruptible power supply). That will go a long toward preventing future problems.

Tamar

A lot of times that error will occur if the connection drops to a server while the programs are running - like a network hub loses power but the user's computer and the server stay up and running, or the server reboots but the apps are still running. Basically, the open files handles become invalid, but the app and the PC still think they are valid.

The server should eventually clear any open connections, but it may take a reboot.

In the meantime, I put together a utility which will close open files on a server if the need arises, which, it sometimes does.
Feel free to follow the link in my signature to the Fox stuff, then scroll down to the "Open File Lister" section. It is a VFP form not an executable, so it needs fox to run. It comes in quite useful at times.

-Dave Summers-
[cheers]
Even more Fox stuff at:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back