Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Figuring out tools to use

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcarmody

Programmer
Apr 25, 2002
US
Hello -
Although I am a 20+ year programmer, my knowledge of web development is minimal. I have been using the internet and trial and error to make basic changes to a site that my company had developed a couple of years ago.

Is there a way to determine what programming tools were employed is developing this site? How can I tell if it is asp.net or classic asp? When I open the .asp pages some of them have some code that indicates JavaScript (<Script language="Javascript"> This site also has a SQL database.

So far I have been using notepad to make changes, but I don't know if this would work to make a major change. Do developers use software like Frontpage or Microsoft Expressions to work on a site like this, or would those software packages be more suited for a different type of site?

Notepad is fine. You might prefer the features, especially the tabbing of other text editors like UltraEdit or TextPad.

I would avoid FrontPage, it has a tendency to add cruft to your code.

As long as you are making small changing it might not be worth the effort to install some big web-site creation tool because you'll spend more time muxxing with the configuration and settings than you save via whatever niceties are offered.

generally, .asp = ASP .aspx = .NET but this can be changed so it's not 100% reliable.
Looking at the source code as delivered to the browser is not any use either, you will just see client side code (HTML & javascript) as the server side code has run already.

I use Notepad, EditPlus & Dreamweaver (in code view) to develop sites.

Chris.

Indifference will be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?
Woo Hoo! the cobblers kids get new shoes.
People Counting Systems

So long, and thanks for all the fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back