Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fighting SPAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcorbett

IS-IT--Management
Jun 18, 2002
US
Hello,

Have any mail admins out there had any luck blocking spam by somehow blocking all messages whose sending mail hosts do not resolve correctly to a reverse DNS query? If so, can this technique be done with the Windows 2000 virtual SMTP server, or are you using a third party software solution? Thanks for your help!

-Matt Corbett

Thanks for your help and such a quick reply!

-Matt Corbett

Have you had many false positives with this method?

We are really enjoying Barracuda Spam Firewall - it uses LDAP to be Exchange / AD aware. Spam is almost non-existant on our network now... Bad Mail is almost nil... and I have not missed an important email since putting it on line..

scottie

Since upgrading to their latest version of Praetor, we have not had many false/positives...it's definetly less than 1%. We've been very pleased. Praetor also offers the LDAP/AD check which verifies that the email addresses are valid to further help with SPAM.

no matter what appliance you go with, i would make certain it can do LDAP lookups on AD to verify mail is destined for a valid recipient. i would have never believed how important this feature was until i activated it. wow !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back