Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

FIFO Cost Calculation

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwells

Programmer
Oct 2, 2012
CA
Hi,

I'm struggling to understand a FIFO cost calculation that's been presented to me and I'm wondering if anyone can provide insight as there may be something I don't understand related to shipment returns (SRT)?

See attached for data.

The question is why if the first shipment return was $8,726.83 does the system expense the first used item at $7,372.28? I'm really lost on the calculation period because it doesn't make any sense to me.

Thanks!

Ian

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=7d56a174-311e-4d33-8df8-31ac9c3fd5a4&file=icmvmt01.xls
As at 11-5-2013 inventory is 0 for this item, then an item is returned at 8,726.83, then 3 more items are received at 20,085.00 less a receipt adjustment of -1,446.84
, then 2 more items are returned at 13,390.00, then a shipment of -7,372.28. Why isn't the shipment 8,726.83 which was the first inventory populating transaction after inventory was 0? 8,726.8 -1,446.84 = 7,279.99 so the receipt adjustment still doesn't factor in to being applied to that first item in inventory. I've tried manipulating the numbers and I don't see it.

You have to analyze the FIFO buckets and not lump the transactions together.
I don't do this unless I'm paid ;)
In other words I don't like doing it.

Sage 300 ERP Certified Consultant

Anyone else have any insight?

I fail to see how the transaction should be for anything other than 8,726.83 since that's the first transaction AFTER the quantity had reset to 0. There's only 5 transactions after 11-5-2013 when the quantity had been reset to 0.

ettienne - i didn't fully understand what you meant at first but now i see why you wouldn't do that unless paid! the issue comes from the offset bucket being populated, cleared, then repopulated, then cleared, then repeat ... by a few receipt adjustments and a ton of shipments and shipment returns.

is there anywhere in IC that stores the historical ICCOST and offset bucket changes?

The offset will catch you every time - anything in the offset bucket is allocated to the next transaction. So you will constantly see random costs allocated to transactions.

Sage 300 ERP Certified Consultant

It was just that the offset was from so long ago and there are soooo many individual shipments and returns that are carried forward for so long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back