Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Field Linking

Status
Not open for further replies.

breukelen

Technical User
Oct 31, 2001
NL
Good afternoon ,

I have the following fields in my table:
main category
category
description
detail
For instance filled with :
expenses
car-cost
fuel-cost
shell 17 june
The first three fields I fill with the help of a combo-box.What I want to achieve is that when I fill
only the field description ( fuel-cost) automaticly the fields main category and category are filled(in this case
with expenses and car-cost).
Can anybody help me in achieving this ?

Thanks in advance.

Gunter

Are you saying that the contents of "MainCategory" and "Category" are entirely controlled by the contents of "Detail" ?

If so then you have no business storing "MainCategory" and "Category" in the table - Normalisation Rules, Codd etc .. .. ..

By all mean have unbound combo boxes on the Form that allow the user to select the "Main Category" and have that control the available data in the "Category" unbound combo. The selection in the "Category" combo can then limit the available items in the BOUND "Detail" combo. But you then ONLY store in the table the "Detail".

'ope-that-'elps.

G LS

Littlesmudge ,

Thank you for your reoply , but it does not help me.
Sometimes but not always I have a description that would
automaticly give the category and maincategory.
So if I would fill "Fuel" with description than I want
automaticly category: "Carcost" and main category:"Expenses"
to be filled.

thanks again for your reply ,

Gunter

Then if only SOMETIMES - then only sometimes the code/solution you're asking for will work - and by the time you put enough intelegence into the database to work out when those times are - and what the data is to fill in the fields - then those are the times when you shouldn't be doing it.

G LS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back