Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Field 'F1' doesn't exist in destination table 'tablename.'

Status
Not open for further replies.

kabirpatel

Programmer
Nov 16, 2006
GB

"Field 'F1' doesn't exist in destination table 'tablename.'"

I hate this error message.

I am using the following command to load data from an excel spreadsheet into a backend SQL Server database via an .adp:

DoCmd.TransferSpreadsheet acImport, acSpreadsheetTypeExcel7, sTempTable, strFileName, False, "A2:B4000"

I have purposely used "False" to ensure that the first line in my spreadsheet is ignored. This is because the first line in my spreadsheet contains headings that do not match the column names in my table.

I do not wish to change my headings as end users will be making use of my application and they will not like headings such as "int_FactoryID". Likewise I do not want to change the column names in my table to words such as "Factory ID" as this would be a bad naming convention.

Is there a way to use TransferSpreadsheet without necessarily matching the headings in the spreadsheet to the column headings?

Is there a way for TransferSpreadsheet to ignore the headings and assume that the first column in the spreadsheet needs to go to the first column in my SQL Server table?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Kabir

In my experience, this is usually due to additional data in extra columns to the right of what you're importing. I've even seen it where the system thinks there's data where there is none.

Simply highlight the columns in your spreadsheet to the right of your data and delete them. Then, try the import again. This usually has solved the issue for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back