Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

field count

Status
Not open for further replies.

hicks

Programmer
Sep 25, 2000
GB
I want to do a count on a field (issue_id)and display this in my main report as (number of issues). I have a subreport which contains issue_id. I keep getting an error message
telling me I can't use this function at this time as this is not determined until later.

What do I do? [sig][/sig]

Have you tried this?
When you are in the subreport, create a formula like
Shared NumberVariable Issues ;
Issues := Count({issue_id})
and place this formula in the subreport report footer.
In your main report, in a spot that gets printed after the subreport (ie lower on the design page), put a formula like
Shared NumberVariable Issues ;
which will display the count. [sig][/sig]

hicks,

MalcolmW is right, except that you don't want to spell out the word NumberVariable.

Instead use Shared NumberVar.

Also, if the subreport prints more than once, you will need a second variable to create a running total that accumulates the values from all of the subreports. There is a FAQ in this forum that describes how to do a running total using 3 variables. [sig]<p>Ken Hamady<br><a href=mailto:ken@kenhamady.com>ken@kenhamady.com</a><br><a href= Reports Training by Ken Hamady</a><br>[/sig]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back