Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fibre Channel HD setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

benbakelaar

IS-IT--Management
Jan 6, 2004
US
I promise I have been doing my research on this, things are becoming clearer but if anyone could drop a few explanations or tips they would be much appreciated.

I recently purchased a Seagate 39103FC Fibre Channel (copper) HD. The connector on the back looks like this:
I am trying to hook this up to my desktop. It seems what I need is a PCI Fibre Channel host adapter, such as an Emulex 7000/E. There is a great, detailed pic of one on eBay that will be up for 3 more days:
According to my research there are a few more steps needed to use this in my desktop. I have seen mention of T-cards, DB9, SCA, 3-pin, HSSDC... there is a great Google-cached page here:
Can anyone tell me definitively what cable(s)/connector(s)/card(s) I need? I can't figure out what the connector on the Emulex 7000 is. I can't tell if the port on the back of my FC Hard Drive is HSSDC. I'm not sure where I would plug a DB9 cable into inside my computer.

Thanks for any and all help,
Ben Bakelaar

If you look at the Product Manual on the Seagate link on Page 62 sec 9.5.2 it gives you several venders and part numbers Ie:717431040
Also maybe bring the drive to a PC shop with your PC specs and see what the have for Host Adapters and cables.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back