Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fiber vs CAT5 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

mufka

ISP
Dec 18, 2000
US
I've got two hub closets (one is the computer room) connected by one 225ft CAT5 run. The remote closet has 3 24 port 10/100 hubs chained together. Would the average user see a marked improvement in performance if I replaced the 1 CAT5 with fiber. The fiber run would have 3 pair so I could use one pair for each remote hub.

There is some network design issues that worry me about your description, but, to answer your question..

You can run 10mbs, 100mbs, or 1000mbs on a piece of Cat5 between the closets. You can run 10 mbs, 100mbs, 1000mbs or more on a fiber between the closets. The media has limits on top speed and performance, but, the actual link throughput is based on the hardware on each end as well.

If it were my installation, I think I would run the fiber and be prepared for a higher speed backbone. However, just because you put fiber in doesn't mean it will increase the speed of your network. Seperating the three hubs into different switched segments would definately be worth the trouble.

Daron J. Wilson
Telecom Manager
LH Morris Electric, Inc.
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

changing the hubs out for switches mite give you the profomace increase your looking for (depending on network traffic). fiber would give you more thought put on the backbone, but you mite run into a bottle-neck at the hubs and not see any inprovement at all.

mufka, is that a typo on your post or do you really have a Cat-5 link at 225 feet. That must run like a three legged dog. Cat-5 should not be used if lengths exceed 100 mtrs (this length includes patch cords, line cords etc) I would suggest asscertaining a Fluke tester to test the actual speed your 225ft link is running at. I think you will be surprised just how slow it is running and I think you will be straight onto your suppliers to install the fibre-optics.

100 meters is over 320 feet so 225 feet should be within limits I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back