Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fiber to RJ45

Status
Not open for further replies.

FCPuma

Technical User
Feb 21, 2002
US
We're moving into a larger building that was previously occupied and are hoping to use the phone and network wiring that's in place.

Among the things abandoned, I found a run of fiber optic from the closet area where services enter the building to the server area on the other side of the building. The cable is about the size of regular cat 5 cable, but with a tough poly-something sheath on it. The sheath covers 12 individual color coded fibers.

At each end of this cable each of the 12 fibers are terminated with "ST" twiston type connecters and plugged into matching patch type plugs in an interconnection box. It seems as if this path is just begging to be used to bring the communications in from the DSU/CSU or whatever in the back to a server room in the front.

There is some cat 5 wiring in place, but the distance is getting close to 100 yards.

I see converters for sale to handle the fiber to rj45 conversion. They typically have two fiber ports and one rj45 port. One such converter from MilesTek is a 10/100 Base-TX to 100 Base-FX Fast Ethernet Media Converter.

See:
Assuming the fiber isn't cut or damaged somewhere, is there some reason I couldn't use a set of these converters to go from an rj45 port on a dsu/csu to two fiber strands to a hub?

I don't know how to further qualify 'what kind' of fiber is in place. It just looks like a clean path from point a to b, and an opportunity to use fiber without having to pull a bunch.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Yes lets assume it is multi mode 62.5 nM fiber.

T1 - CSU/DSU-v.35-Router-rj45-converter-100 meter Fiber-converter-rj45-switch should be fine! I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

I agree, but have the fibre tested with a light meter! An OTDR might also be useful if the run isn't too short.

Chris.
Chris Andrew, CCNA
chrisac@gmx.co.uk

If the fiber is OK converting from finber to RJ45 or even AUI (for hubs) should work fine. We do this alot at our mill.
James P. Cottingham

I am the Unknown lead by the Unknowing.
I have done so much with so little
for so long that I am now qualified
to do anything with nothing.

Check eBay for fiber converters. The 10BaseT ones go for under $10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back