Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fiber or Cat5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 13, 2001
US

I'm running wire up 2 floors, less than 300 ft, and am looking into running Cat5 or Fiber....I know I’m within my 300 Ft. on Cat5 BUT I will have a server and several Network users on this.....and I'm worried about Collisions???????

What would be best to run??

Thanks

You should not have any problems as long as you stay within the 285' mark. I have several differant systems that are running that far and have no problems. I would recommend using 5E cable though. I am using the big E cable that is rated for 350mhz.

If you find any mistakes, please consider that they are there for a purpose. And everyone needs a purpose.
Mikey

mikey, Where did you come up with the 285' ?

LFSPJ
If you are serving several users and a server, you will need a device to support them. I would recommend using a switch, not just a hub. This will also help in your concern about collisions.

Distance - 328 (100 meters) feet total for the Cat5 ethernet link, the distance of 300 feet (90 meters) is to allow for patch cables at each end.

Cat5e or E - there is NO standard for big E or little e, the EIA/TIA standard defines Cat5e to a particular set of parameters, the overall bandwidth being 100 MHz. What we are finding in the field though is Cat5e "minimally compliant" at 100 Mhz, and Cat5e "hyper" or "extreme" or "insert manufacturer's label here" for a Cat5e cable that has a higher bandwidth (such as 250 or 350 Mhz). Using the higher bandwidth cable in theory gives you more headroom for higher bandwidth should you choose to use it. Currently, that next step would be gigabit ethernet for example. We almost always use the better product, it's not much more money and seems to be prudent.

Collisions - the network topology and hardware is more of an issue for collisions than the media. Either Cat5e or Fiber in this situation could give you 100 mbs full duplex depending on the hardware. Collisions are a 'feature' of ethernet technology, and minimal collisions are to be expected.

If you have a switch at each end with a 100 mbs full duplex connection, and you use Cat5e you should get the full channel bandwidth. Interestingly, if you use fiber you will get the same throughput. If you are building for future growth, then gigabit fiber would be a good choice.

Hope that helps, Good Luck!

It is only my opinion, based on my experience and education...I am always willing to learn, educate me!
Daron J. Wilson, RCDD
daron.wilson@lhmorris.com

I am sorry it is 295'.

Length Mode

Length is important because cabling standards specify maximum lengths for different types of cables.

Catagory 5, 5E and 6 specify a Link to be no more than 90 meters (295 feet) and a Channel to be no more than 100 meters (328 feet)

If you find any mistakes, please consider that they are there for a purpose. And everyone needs a purpose.
Mikey

If the only reason you are considering fiber is to make it easy to run at gigabit, be aware that the 100baseFX standard preferes 62.5 nanometer fiber while the 1000baseSX standard prefers a 50 nanometer fiber, although it works for your distance at 62.5 as well.

honestly, I have not heard a reason you want fiber in your setting, unless you tell us it will run up the elevator shaft next to the power cables.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

We shouldn't forget to mention the 1000 Base TX standard which provides for Gigabit over CAT5/CAT5e cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back