Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fiber Optic Connection Speed Mixing??

Status
Not open for further replies.

banwart1

Instructor
Apr 8, 2002
US
Can I connect a 100Mb fiber optic device to a 1000Mb fiber port on a switch? Is it like a modem setup/handshake process? In other words, Will a 'standard' GBIC reduce it's connection speed to match the 100Mbit capability of a connected device?
I want to connect a Milan ShAir WAP using a fiber port on the AP that is 100Mb/s to a Netgear GSM7312F with a 1000Mb/s SFP GBIC installed via Multimode fiber link.
Seems like this should work since the switch also has 12 copper ports that are 10/100/1000Mb/s and is doing link speed switching there, why not on the GBICs?? Maybe I'm totally off on my thinking?
I'm trying to get away from using media converters, and have not been able to find a Fiber Optic SFP module that is 100Mb/s. Maybe someone knows where to get the 100Mb SFP modules that will fit to my switch? Netgear does not seem to offer these.

Many thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back