Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

fiber distributed enclosures is really needed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 8, 2002
TR
hi there,
Do i need really need fiber distributed enclosures?
Cant i make it by my own. Isthere any electronics part inside of it?
I think I just need to combine the fiber to pigtails? Am i wrong?

Regards
murat

the enclosure is just to protect the tiny glass strands and to route them without sharp bends. the goal is for them to last as long as the building they are in.

(I have actually moved a new building over my fiber and re-used it) I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

There are many different types of enclosures. You can even use a backbox. ICC has faceplates that have SC or ST inserts.

princecharm, are you talking about preterminated fiber? either way all enclosures are for protection. no, you don't HAVE to have them but it is ALWAYS a good idea.

i always hated it when arriving onsite and finding fiber hanging down the wall terminating striaght into the switch. then again right then i knew why i was called out! "Jack of all trades. Master of none."

ibut i mean i dont want to pay 1000$ for a box. It is so expensive here. Thats why i am just thinking to pacth the fiber directly with ST conn.

Is it that much expensive there just for 6 fibers?

good job, jimbopalmer.

yeah, you should never have to pay that much. $1000!?!?!?! "Jack of all trades. Master of none."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back