Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fiber Channel Switch config attached DS4300

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbowers

IS-IT--Management
Jan 25, 2006
I have 2 IBM 2005-16b fiber channel switches with several GroupWise servers and 2 Windows Backup servers attached. The DS4300 attaches to both, they act as a redundant configuration. I have a tape library connected to the switches as well. We recently added a second tape library and backup server. The problem is both servers see both tape library causing issue with my backup software. So I Zoned off 3 ports on the 2nd switch for the new drive. When I enable the zone on those 3 ports all the other ports got kicked off that switch and moved to the #1 switch. I have not been able to get the path back to the #2 switch. I only zoned the 3 ports 2 for the tape library and 1 for the server. Not sure why enabling a zone knocks off the rest. Any help would be appriciated.

Make sure you don't have controller A zoned to both HBA ports. For instance the DS3400 has 4 FC ports, two on A and two on B. Both ports on A should not be zoned to the same HBA per IBM documentation. You should have the A's split across different switches, if you dont have redundant switches makes sure you dont have the same HBA (initiator ) zoned to both targets ( on the DS3400 ).

As far as the tape library and the backsoftware if you dont have licensing for tape drive sharing you will have issues. I am not sure what you are using but most charge you extra to share tape drives. So you need to figure that one out.

You need to go into more detail with the zoning. Zoning will not knock off other ports, sounds like you may have different active zoneset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back